The Pack 703 Pinewood Derby is complete! Thanks for all of the Scouts (and parents) who worked on their really cool and speedy cars to help make this a super fun event! We had faster cars than ever this year!
The 2017 Grand Champion was Blake Jervey of the Bears! Blake was also the best shooter at the Turkey Shoot in the Fall, if you remember, so good for him on his consistent excellence!
Our Best in Show winner was Heath Tucker with a really sharp and sporty-looking vehicle. Runners-up for Best in Show were Sean Donoghue (or maybe it was Patrick, I’m sorry) and Tyler Steinman.
Here are the per-Rank standings as we finished the day (I apologize for the poor formatting):
The Champions Final:
Please Note: Any Scouts scoring in the top 4 of their Rank are eligible to register to race in the District Pinewood Derby. No proof or documentation is required, as far as we can tell. Just Scout’s honor!
There is a bit of a conflict with the District Pinewood Derby and our Pack 703 Blue and Gold Luncheon which takes place the same day, March 25th (despite our best efforts to avoid conflict.) But, depending on your Rank, timing and level of success at the District Derby, there is a chance that you might be able to attend both. We apologize for that inconvenience!
To see details regarding schedule, location and registering for the Silver Comet District Pinewood Derby, please see this link:
I have posted pictures that I took at our Pack picture website on Shutterfly at this link:
Please add your own event pictures! If you don’t already have access then all that you need is a free Shutterfly.com account and to request access, which I am usually able to grant immediately.
I know this post is already very long, but we need to briefly acknowledge the various helpers that made this Pinewood Derby event possible:
- Greg Steinman, Brian Huang and Steve Noll for the track transport and setup
- WC Frazier for getting our laptop software working and showing us how to use it
- Steve Noll for running the computer and keeping score during the event
- Greg and Nina Steinman for placing and launching the derby cars on the track throughout the event
- Lori Osterling and her whole family for providing the refreshments and manning the table all day long!
- Karen Gambon and Elisa Bailey (and her brother) for performing car inspections and weigh-ins, general site setup/decoration and handling events registration
- Karen Gambon again for arranging and providing the medals and trophies for the winning Scouts
- Our Best in Show judging panel consisted of: Samantha Steinman, Danielle Weaver and Jackie Kelley
- Samantha Steinman again for presenting awards to the winners
- To First United Methodist Church for hosting us at their excellent facility
- And to many of the various parents who were so eager to assist in the clean-up after the event (and anyone I missed, sorry!)
And finally a general thanks to all of the Scouts and families who spent the time to customize a derby car and participate and making today a great and fun day!!
Assistant Cubmaster Tim